July 4th is Independence Day, and there’s no better way to celebrate than inviting friends and having a cookout. You can try many recipes, but anything you pick should celebrate the independence we enjoy. Whether it’s classic such as slow-cooked BBQs, or something fresh or new, consider something that adds a bit of fun and deliciousness amid the fireworks that grace this revered holiday. Here are 3 recipes you can try out.
Star-spangled Chicken with Firework Salsa and Roasted Potatoes Side Dish
Though not a classic Fourth of July recipe, Star-spangled chicken with Fireworks Salsa hits differently when celebrating Independence Day. Combining Salsa and chicken with sides like red, white, or blue potatoes makes the perfect dish for your holiday.
Here are the ingredients you need for a salsa serving of six:
- 1 piece each of yellow, red, and green bell pepper
- An ounce of well-drained pineapple tidbits
- 1-½ teaspoon Chipotle powder or puree
- ½ diced small red onion
- One tablespoon of fresh lime juice
- One tablespoon of melted jalapeno jelly
- Two teaspoons of fresh and finely minced cilantro leaves
Halve the peppers, remove the large ribs, seeds, and stem, and set aside halves of each color. Dice the remaining halves and place them in a China bowl with a mixture of the pineapple tidbits, fresh lime juice, diced onions, and melted jalapeno jelly. Leave the mixture for an hour at room temperature before cutting the remaining pepper halves into small star shapes and adding the seasoning to taste.
It’s best to marinate your chicken overnight to get the most tender and flavorful chicken. Here are the ingredients for a serving of six:
- Six boneless and skin-removed chicken breasts, at least 6 to 8 ounces each
- Two tablespoons of mango chutney
- Two tablespoons of apricot jam
- A cup of mayonnaise
- Two tablespoons of grainy mustard
- Two tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice or lime
Combine the mango chutney, mayonnaise, grainy mustard, Worcestershire sauce, apricot jam, and fresh lime juice to make a marinade. Put the chicken breast in a ziplock bag, pour the marinade, and seal. Put the sealed bag in a refrigerator overnight while turning it occasionally.
- Start by heating the cooker until it glows.
- Remove the chicken breast from the resealable bag and pour the marinade into a small bowl.
- Spray the grill with non-stick vegetable spray and place the chicken on the grill to cook.
- Blast them with the marinade as you occasionally turn until they’re cooked through.
- Allow them to cook on every side for 6 to 8 minutes until the juices are not pink.
Place the Salsa on the serving plates and the grilled chicken breasts in the center and garnish them with the pepper stars to serve.
You can add roasted potatoes as your side dish to make your serving more unique. Here’s what you need for a serving of six people:
- Three peeled and diced russet potatoes
- 3 diced red-skinned potatoes
- Six small diced blue potatoes
- ¼ cup olive or vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven up to 425 F and get out the baking sheet.
- Put the potatoes and the oil in a bowl and stir until they coat.
- Season with the pepper and salt and stir again.
- Place the potatoes evenly on the baking sheet, place them in the oven, and bake for 35 minutes while turning them occasionally.
- Serve as your side dish while still warm.
Marinated Grilled Pork Chops with a Side of Everyday Cabbage Salad
Nothing gets more classical than celebrating America’s Independence Day while grilling marinated grilled pork chops as you drink some beers with your friends. And the beauty of this; preparing a classic marinated grilled pork, and you can get everything you need from any grocery store in Naperville.
You need the following ingredients for a serving of 4:
- Four pork chops, 8-ounce each, preferably from the loin or shoulder
- 4 Tablespoons of olive or vegetable oil
- One tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- Three tablespoons of ketchup
- ½ onion powder
- Two tablespoons of brown sugar
- One tablespoon of yellow or Dijon mustard
- Three cloves of minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Black pepper
- Put the olive oil, ketchup, onion powder, garlic, mustard, soy sauce, and brown sugar in a bowl to make the marinade.
- Season with pepper and salt to taste and stir the mixture.
- Place your pork chops in a large ziplock bag, pour the marinade, and seal.
- Leave the mixture overnight to get the best flavor.
To grill, place the pork chops on the grill and use the drained marinade to brush on each side for 4 to 6 minutes until they’re nicely cooked.
Everyday Cabbage Salad
You can add a simple cabbage salad side dish to complement your marinated pork chops. Here’s what you need for a serving of four people:
- 8 cups of shredded green cabbage
- Two tablespoons of lemon juice
- Two tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Two tablespoons of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- One tablespoon of honey
- One tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground pepper
Whisk the mustard, oil, parsley, garlic powder, pepper, and salt in a large bowl. Add the cabbage, mix to coat, and leave for 10 minutes before tossing it and serving immediately. If you don’t intend to serve immediately, leave it in your fridge for up to an hour before serving.
A burger Plata will do the trick to keep your July 4th festivity simple. All you need is an electric grill and the following ingredients to get started:
- Three red onion
- Three teaspoons of olive oil
- 12-ounce bacon bits
- A packet of frozen French fries
- 1 pound of ground pork
- 1 pound of ground beef
- Three cloves of garlic
- One tablespoon of parsley
- One tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- Five burger buns
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 32 ounces of shredded cheddar
- Pickled jalapenos
- ½ a bottle of beer
- Chicken stock
- Cook the diced red onions with olive oil until they caramelize and set aside. Grill the bacon until it’s crispy, save the bacon grease, and set it aside. Heat the frozen French fries and set them aside.
- Mix the garlic, beef, pork, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Slice the burger buns in halves, remove the inside filling, and staff the caramelized onions and a handful of the meat mixture until the buns are filled. Cut them into quarters and grill them on the griddle allowing 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add the chicken stock to the pan to caramelize and set it aside.
- In a round frying pan, melt the 16-ounce cheese until it’s crispy and browned at the bottom. Flip them into a baking sheet, and arrange the burger quarters in star shapes, with each quarter for every point of the star. Place the French fries at the center and bake for five minutes at 375 F.
- Heat the remaining cheddar with beer in a saucepan to make the cheese sauce. Remove the burgers from the oven, place the cheese sauce at the center, and garnish with the Jalapenos and bacon bits. Decorate the stars with swirls and stars to celebrate the 4th of July.
Get Your 4th of July Recipe Ingredients from the International Fresh Market
You need to have all your ingredients ready for the July 4th festivities. If you’re residing in Aurora, Naperville, Woodridge, Warrenville, Plainfield, and surrounding areas, there’s no better place to get your ingredients than the International Fresh Market. We proudly serve these Chicagoland communities with grocery, produce, and ethnic foods sourced worldwide. Contact us today to grab your fresh July 4th recipe ingredients.